Ethics Review Committee
Chairs: Alison Chasteen and Dapha Buchsbaum
Co-ordinator: Hannah Bild-Enkin
BEFORE YOU SUBMIT AN APPLICATION:
The DPERC will not consider incomplete applications. You must have your faculty sponsor's signature on the electronic form and you should submit the final version of your application with your faculty sponsor's changes already incorporated (please do not submit Word documents with your sponsor's changes still tracked, for example). The committee expects the submitted application to be fully complete and correct at the first submission and will not engage in iterative exchanges to help you prepare your application into an acceptable form. Questions about DPERC, about preparing your application, or about the ethics review process in general, should be coordinated with your faculty sponsor and NOT directed to the committee. Communications with the DPERC are expected to be respectful in tone. The DPERC is a courtesy, not a right. Aggressive, impatient, or impolite emails will not be tolerated. Failure to adequately prepare your application materials or to communicate with the committee in a respectful manner may result in refusal to process your application by DPERC.
IMPORTANT: PLEASE ALSO NOTE THAT APPLICATIONS WILL NOT BE ELIGIBLE FOR REVIEW UNLESS ALL REQUIRED DOCUMENTS HAVE BEEN RECEIVED. IN A SINGLE EMAIL, ATTACH TWO SEPARATE DOCUMENTS: COVER SHEET & SIGNEDAPPLICATION.
Role of the Department of Psychology Ethics Review Committee (DPERC)
- Review and approve all ethics protocols submitted by undergraduate students in the department who require ethics approval for course credit (PSY299Y, PSY405/406H, PSY400Y).
- Approve undergraduate students’ use of all Department of Psychology subject pools other than the PSY100 pool.
- Review ethics protocols for undergraduate course instructors who include experimental assignments in their course content that require ethics approval.
- Review adverse/unanticipated incidents for protocols approved by DPERC, to examine if changes to the study are needed.
Undergraduate Research Without Existing Ethics Review Office (ERO) Approval
If the research being done by an undergraduate student does not have prior approval from the ERO, the proposal must be submitted to the DPERC for ethics approval. Include the following in your request:
- The DPERC cover sheet, completed except for the signature portion. (Please note that this form is now a fillable pdf and should be sent electronically along with the rest of the documents.)
- The research proposal protocol , completed according to the format from ERO. The protocol should include both the consent form (on letterhead) that will be used and information on debriefing. For more information, see http://www.research.utoronto.ca/for-researchers-administrators/ethics/ . If you are a course instructor requiring ethics approval for a course project, you must complete the course protocol form.
Please email the completed undergraduate ethics protocol form and the cover sheet as two pdf documents to email@example.com . The committee will answer you by email.
- If you plan to use the PSY100 pool for subject recruitment, you must include a debriefing form that contains the required information about your experiment. See Appendix B of the Principles and Procedures Governing the Use of the PSY100 Participant Pool for details.
Undergraduate Research with Existing Ethics Review Office (ERO) Approval
- If the project has been approved by the University of Toronto Ethics Review Office (ERO) and if you would like to use PSY100 students as subjects, submit your request directly to the PSY100 subject pool. For information on using the PSY100 pool and on how to submit your request, please go to http://home.psych.utoronto.ca/resources/researchers/psy100pool.htm.
- If the project has been approved by the ERO and if you want to use student subject pools in any psychology course other than PSY100 or use any Department of Psychology subject pool, you must submit your request to the Departmental Review Committee (DPERC). Include in your request the DPERC cover sheet, completed and signed, and a copy of your ERO approval (including the Protocol). Submit all documents as one PDF by email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The DPERC can consider only proposals that ERO would consider to be minimal risk and suitable for expedited review (see information on the protocol form) and that are for undergraduate course credit.
- You must submit a request to the ERO if a project has been approved by a research ethics board other than the ERO and you want to do any of the following: use psychology students as subjects, post a sign on a psychology bulletin board to recruit subjects, use a Department of Psychology subject pool, or use any departmental space or facilities. Submit the request to the ERO (for details see http://www.research.utoronto.ca/for-researchers-administrators/ethics/ ).